St. John's before fire of 1892
Dr. William T. Grenfell initially visited Newfoundland and Labrador in 1892,arriving in St.John’s harbour just days following the Great Fire which devastated the city. That year Grenfell travelled as far north as Hopedale and treated 900 patients. The following year, he established the first mission hospitals at Battle Harbour Labrador, the fishing "Capital of the North" and at Indian Harbour.
The Grenfell Mission established medical facilities in northern Newfoundland and Labrador, extending from Harrington, on the Québec Labrador to North West River on the Labrador. The headquarters of the Mission was St.Anthony on Newfoundland’s Northern Peninsula. In the summer months, mission vessels sailed the length of the coast, including visits to Hopedale and Nain.
The language in the title reflects
contemporary views by mission staff and volunteers towards northern
Newfoundland and Labrador
Please contact PANL
regarding copyright restrictions status on the images in the IGA
Exhibit. Please quote reference number.