A new contribution-a small boy
Grenfell mission workers were deeply moved by the children of Northern Newfoundland and Labrador, particularly those who were seriously ill or injured, handicapped or orphaned. The Grenfell Mission provided medical care for children, including specialized care for those suffering from tuberculosis or physical handicaps. In 1906, the Mission established an orphanage, also called the Children’s Home, at St. Anthony.
The Mission promoted the educational welfare of Newfoundland and Labrador children, establishing schools in many communities, including St. Anthony, North West River, Cartwright, St. Mary’s, and Muddy Hole. These included the first kindergarten in the Colony, as well as the first non-denominational schools in Labrador.
Appealing images of children were also utilized by Mission lecturers to illustrate the child welfare programmes run by the IGA, as well as to solicit funds from empathetic audiences. Many of the children’s cots were supported by contributions from children in Canada and the United States.
The language in the title reflects
contemporary views by mission staff and volunteers towards northern
Newfoundland and Labrador
Please contact PANL
regarding copyright restrictions status on the images in the IGA
Exhibit. Please quote reference number.